2.11.2009

Lego My Thoughts




I've had New York on the mind since watching Hannah and Her Sisters last weekend (NY is practically its own character in the movie) and Subway Stories last night. Time for another visit to the brother. A few of these Lego creations are universal, but the creator had New York on his mind all the way from Berlin as he watched his kid play with Legos. Cute.

As for the movies, Subway Stories kept my attention (which is saying a lot after a 12 hour workday and 6 hours in a car with my boss), but I can't help feeling there's a lot more potential with the subject than comes to light in the film. It's not bad, but I'd hoped for a little more when the focus is odd encounters on the NY subway.

Hannah and Her Sisters, on the other hand, was a winner. I don't know how I managed to overlook this Woody Allen movie, but I'm glad that's now been remedied. It portrays familial and romantic dynamics in spot-on fashion, highlighting flaws and blunders that don't necessarily become known to all parties. Leave it to Woody to make it all okay, mostly free of judgment, and even an expectation. Of course there are so many classic lines speckled throughout that I hate to pick a few and ruin them without context, but... (c/o IMDB)...

Frederick (pretentious artist):

You see the whole culture. Nazis, deodorant salesmen, wrestlers, beauty contests, a talk show. Can you imagine the level of a mind that watches wrestling? But the worst are the fundamentalist preachers. Third grade con men telling the poor suckers that watch them that they speak with Jesus, and to please send in money. Money, money, money! If Jesus came back and saw what's going on in his name, he'd never stop throwing up.

Woody's Dad:

How the hell do I know why there were Nazis? I don't know how the can opener works!

Mickey (Woody, hypochondriac) - on a suicidal urge:

A week ago I bought a rifle, I went to the store - I bought a rifle! I was gonna, you know, if they told me I had a tumor, I was gonna kill myself. The only thing that might-ve stopped me - MIGHT'VE - is that my parents would be devastated. I would have to shoot them also, first. And then I have an aunt and uncle - you know - it would've been a blood bath.

Mickey (Woody) - watching joggers in Central Park:

Look at all these people, trying to stave off the inevitable decay of their bodies.

Yeah, it's far superior delivered by the actors, but I couldn't help. Just see it for yourself if you haven't already.

No comments: