9.24.2009

"We Met In The East"

"...Poured in like a flood. You're the whispering kind. Dark sapphire blood."

Oh my. I just this morning received "White Water, White Bloom," by Sea Wolf and am already so very sold on it that I just purchased its predecessor. This is shaping up to be one of my new favorites fo sho. Reminiscent of The Decemberists, Conor Oberst, and maybe some Arcade Fire... and yet his own sound. Folky in its clever-like lyrics, but nice vocals and some interesting layers of intstrumentation overtop. And... I just looked up his tour dates, and he's playing Schuba's on October 1st.... which is actually a Thursday. Not to be confused with a Monday or Wednesday, which I'm finding are not good nights for a concert. The Fruit Bats at Schuba's this past Monday were well worth it, but they did get my week off to a super sleepy start (or maybe it was the late night before). And making it to Pheonix at the Aragon last night was quite the stretch. And the stretch didn't end once we got there... we were met by a surprisingly HUMUNGOUS crowd, which was good for Pheonix, bad for us. It consisted of more fratters and sorority chicks than I might've expected, which I can feel neither here nor there about... though perhaps enough to mention it. But what really bugged me was the fact that we scoured the place, and the only spots where we could glimpse a peek at the Frenchies was on the side, and from the side the sound was such total shite that we couldn't hear the vocals....at... all. The only thing we really got out of it was seeing the sea of humanity enjoying it all, always a nice thing to glimpse, but all-in-all t'was a waste of dinero. Oh wells.

No comments: