6.22.2008

Desktop Découpage


I've been told more than once that I lay claim to the most aesthetically pleasing office in the the workplace. Although the competition is abysmal, and the title of "best decorator" makes me no less dispensable an employee, I have to admit to taking a little pride in it. It's not that I'm trying to impress anyone (other than myself). I just don't comprehend how people manage to ignore their surroundings, or how they don't care in the first place.


Which brings me to la pointe de le post. One of the little things I do to instill a modicum of visual variety is switch up the background on my desktop. I know, it's a tiny not-so-novel idea, but I look at that screen for ungodly amounts of time, and hell if I'm going to stare at the same thing day in and day out. Plus, it gives me a place to appreciate those random images I come across that would otherwise go forgotten.


I find most of my inspiration at ffffound, a stockpile of seemingly infinite images. If scrolling didn't bring on a nasty case of motion sickness (cursed be my sensitive equilibrium!) I could peruse the site for hours. I wouldn't put this particular image on my desktop, but I'm a sucker for words, collage, vintage, and the French language, so I really dig it.


Beware, some of the images are NSFW, but if you're in need of iCookies, it's like an online museum of contemporary art with no direction. Whatever speaks to me on a given day or week will get saved, sometimes cropped and then "set as desktop background." Then I tile or stretch it depending on what looks best, and there it stays until I'm bored of it and want something new.


A wee cure for the desktop doldrums....

No comments: